The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a nonprofit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to improved incomes and diets in the developing world through increased production and consumption of nutritious and health-promoting vegetables. For more information, please visit our website: www.avrdc.org.
The Postdoctoral Scientist – Breeding will assist to strengthen the capacity of the WorldVeg's breeding team in the rapid use of genetic information and technology to help develop and deliver a pipeline of improved tropically-adapted products of tomato, chili, and sweet pepper.
This position will report to the Flagship Program Leader – Seeds That Perform and will be based in WorldVeg's headquarters in Shanhua, Tainan, Taiwan.
• Contribute towards improving the efficiency and effectiveness of WorldVeg breeding, especially in identification and development of new traits, marker-assisted selection, and other technologies.
• Propose strategies and help operationalize methods for effective development of novel traits.
• Assist in implementation and management of research projects.
• Assist in field and greenhouse screening and selection of improved lines.
• Enhance the capacity of project partners through occasional training courses.
• Contribute new ideas; pilot test innovations and develop grant proposals for funding.
• Assist in administrative or other tasks as required by the supervisor.
• Publish research results in peer-reviewed journals.
• Perform any other duties as required by the needs of the Center and the Supervisor.
Candidates must have a recent PhD degree in plant breeding, molecular genetics, plant physiology or a related field and have strong skills in scientific writing, genetics, statistics and experimental design. A background in horticulture is desirable but not required, and willingness to work both in the field and the laboratory is essential. She/he must have strong communication skills in spoken and written English. The candidate must be able to work with multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural and multinational environment, and be willing to travel extensively.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The appointment is for three years.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with a curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including telephone/fax/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability to email@example.com before 15th May 2017.