Applied Research Scientist
Founded in 2015, Bowery Farming is on a mission to democratize access to high-quality, local, safe and sustainable produce. Bowery builds smart indoor farms near cities, growing fresher, pesticide-free Protected Produce with bold flavor in precisely controlled environments, 365 days a year. At the heart of each farm is the proprietary BoweryOS, which integrates software, hardware, sensors, AI, computer vision systems, machine learning models and robotics to orchestrate and automate the entirety of its operations. As a result, each farm creates far less waste and uses a fraction of the water and land compared to traditional agriculture.
About The Role:
Bowery Farming is looking for a passionate and committed Applied Research Scientist to join its AgScience Team. In this role, the Applied Research Scientist will be responsible for defining and executing a program of research that defines the growing requirements initially for strawberries and future fruiting crops within Bowery's indoor vertical farms. Bringing expertise in plant physiology and horticulture, the Applied Research Scientist will develop novel growth recipes that result in yield and quality gains as well as work to identify the best strawberry cultivars for commercial production. Working closely with a cross functional team of Scientists and Engineers, the Applied Research Scientist will bring expertise and insights on strawberry and soft fruiting crop growing methods and requirements to the design of the growing systems and processes that operate at scale. The Applied Research Scientist will drive new scientific insights through rapid and iterative experimentation to create new value and market opportunities for Bowery.
This role is full-time and based out of Kearny, NJ in the United States. Full benefits and relocation are both offered as well.
What You'll Do:
• You will design and execute experiments in controlled environments, pilot, and production scale vertical farms with strawberries and multiple fruiting crops to define growing conditions for optimal yield and quality
• You will collect plant phenotyping and environmental data to drive insights in crop performance
• You will analyze data and report experimental results
• You will communicate scientific insights to peers and leadership
• You will serve as a subject matter expert on fruiting crop production
• You will collaborate with external partners
Who You Are:
• Multiple years of experience in soft fruit production systems (strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries) in greenhouse, high tunnel, open field or CEA
• Experience with optimization of strawberry growing conditions, systems, and processes for fruit production
• Extensive knowledge of crop and plant physiology, experimental design and field trials
• Experience in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary team of Scientists and Engineers to optimize growing conditions, systems and processes for fruit production
• Ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
• Track record of impact from scientific research
• Curiosity and innovative use of technologies in plant science
• Ability to clearly communicate complex scientific concepts to cross-functional teams
Who We Are:
• Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
• We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
• We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
• We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
• We are excited to hear from you!
Based in New York City, Bowery is the largest vertical farming company in the United States, serving major e-commerce platforms and more than 850 grocery stores in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions, including Albertsons Companies (Safeway and Acme), Amazon Fresh, Giant Food, Walmart, Weis, Whole Foods Market, and specialty grocers, with produce that's harvested year-round at peak freshness, delivered within days of harvest. Bowery has raised $472 million from leading investors, including Fidelity Management & Research Company LLC, Temasek, GV (formerly Google Ventures), General Catalyst, GGV Capital, First Round Capital, and individuals including Henry Kravis, Jeff Wilke, as well as some of the foremost thought leaders in food, including Tom Colicchio, José Andrés and David Barber of Blue Hill. For more information on Bowery and its products, please visit https://boweryfarming.com/ Press kit: https://boweryfarming.com/press/
To apply: click here (this link will open a new browser window)
We celebrate unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that enrich the workplace. Join us in creating an inclusive work environment that is free of bias and discrimination, where everyone can be their authentic self. We strongly encourage people from all walks of life and underrepresented backgrounds to apply and join the Bowery Farming team. We are an equal opportunity employer.