The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realizing the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit our website: www.worldveg.org.
WorldVeg is seeking a creative and enthusiastic person to join the Center as the Communications Coordinator. The position will be based at WorldVeg's headquarters in Shanhua, Tainan, Taiwan, and will report to the Director General.
Key job responsibilities
• Provide timely, and high-quality writing and editorial support to WorldVeg staff and partners to significantly enhance the visibility of WorldVeg and contribute to business development.
• Translate scientific and technical information into broadly accessible language, infographics, and various communications products.
• Lead and backstop a network of communications focal points at WorldVeg locations worldwide.
• Lead the production of the Center's key publications, including annual reports and Fresh! newsletters, oversee the Center's website and social media presence and assist scientists with research publications as needed.
• Strengthen institutional branding, corporate image, and ensure high editorial standards.
• Travel to project sites to capture stories of impact, and testimonies, and develop communication products.
• Foster and contribute to teamwork and strengthen internal communications within the Center.
• Coordinate contracts and act as a liaison with external consultants, communications agencies, and international media as necessary.
• Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of the Center and as reviewed from time to time by the Supervisor.
Required qualifications, experience, and specific competencies:
• Master's degree in communication, journalism, or related disciplines.
• Proven professional experience of at least seven years in editing, writing, and content development for international research organizations or science media.
• Sound working knowledge of communications tools and channels.
• Ability to explain complex scientific issues in broadly accessible language.
• Ability to work with a diverse team and partners around the world.
• Interest in agricultural issues, natural resources, and/or sustainable development.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at once.
• Personal and professional integrity, self-motivation, sound judgment, and ability to work independently.
• Spoken and written fluency in English.
• Willingness to travel frequently to project locations in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
• Knowledge of French would be a distinct advantage.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The initial appointment is for three years and may be extended depending on the performance of the incumbent and the availability of resources.
The candidate we hire will embody WorldVeg's Core Values:
1. Dedication to Innovation and Knowledge Sharing Supports the conduct of world-class science, respects ethical standards, and is committed to sharing results in a transparent manner.
2. Commitment to Impact Aspires to achieve positive, tangible, and lasting impact contributing to Sustainable Development Goals.
3. Commitment to Partnerships Believes in the value of partnerships to advance research for development.
4. Respect for People Respect the diversity of gender, culture, ethnic origin, religion, age, beliefs, and views.
5. Respect for the Environment Strives to minimize its environmental impact and to introduce greener technology and practices.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with a curriculum vitae, a recent passport-size photograph, names, and addresses (including telephone/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability to email@example.com before 15 March 2023