King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is seeking a Director - Plant Growth Core Lab at the Plant Growth Core Lab (PG), faculty and researchers study plant growth, development, physiology, genetics, and molecular research within state-of-the-art facilities. PG hosts a greenhouse with 18 individually climate-controlled rooms; an environmental growth room with 46 growth chambers; an automated walk-in plant growth and phenotyping room; and an outdoor field-testing research facility.
PG is seeking a director who will deliver outstanding services, quality, and outputs in line with the research mission and objectives of KAUST.
He/she will lead a dedicated team and establish strong working relationships across the research community. The successful candidate will bring knowledge, experience, and drive to this extensive facility, and advance the lab's infrastructure to meet the global ambitions of KAUST.
• Develop strategic and operational plans driven by an understanding of research needs, benchmarking against peer institutions, and staying up-to-date on the latest technologies
• Engage faculty users and other key stakeholders to ensure alignment of services and support
• Promptly identify and address issues with the facilities
• Ensure measures are in place to mitigate risks and resource gaps
• Provide guidance, direction, and support to staff and users of facilities
• Establish, communicate, and monitor key performance indicators in the key areas of safety, services, operations, budgeting, asset management, staff performance, and development
• Drive effective corrective and preventative maintenance strategies, including staff training, vendor management, and partnership with KAUST maintenance teams
• Foster a culture of excellence that rewards team spirit, user engagement, proactivity, and responsiveness
• Develop user policies and procedures that ensure safe, efficient, fair, and compliant use of resources
Qualifications & Competencies
• Ph.D. in a relevant discipline preferred; B.S. or M.S. with demonstrated expertise will be considered
• Minimum five years of experience leading or managing advanced plant research facilities
• Evidence of impactful achievement and research outputs in such an environment
• Specific expertise directly related to plant growth research and related technologies and equipment
• Strong strategic, operational planning, financial and resource management, and decision-making capacities
• Capable of leading, empowering, and developing high performing staff and teams
• Excellent communicator with the maturity to interact well with university staff and researchers at all levels