Horticultural Senior Scientist (Full time) – Post Entry Quarantine and Botany
MPI Plant Health and Environment Laboratory is looking for an experienced and highly talented Horticultural Senior Scientist to join our post-entry quarantine and botany team. You will oversee the day-to-day plant husbandry operations, including the supervision of other staff, in MPI's level 3B glasshouse and tissue culture facilities. This is an exciting role which will embrace your horticultural skills with your passion for leadership.
The MPI Plant Health and Environment Laboratory is the national reference centre for the identification of all suspected exotic, new and emerging pests and diseases of plants, and arthropod pests affecting the environment and also provides diagnostic services to primary industries to facilitate trade. PHEL also provides a high security post-entry quarantine (PEQ) service for New Zealand's primary crops under the MPI PEQ for plants standard.
Our team is dedicated, diverse and highly supportive and operates in a busy and varied environment to deliver our core work programme supporting New Zealand's biosecurity system. This role will offer you the variety and the challenge to develop and enhance your scientific leadership skills, whilst driving innovation that will shape our future way of working.
You will bring your relevant expertise, initiative and ability to manage relationships, internal and external to MPI. You will be a high performer, highly productive, articulate and focused, and you will have the ability to get things done.
Key Skills / Educational Requirements
The ideal person will hold a PhD or equivalent qualification (post-graduate degree and relevant technical experience) and have relevant experience working in horticulture or plant nursery management. In particular the person should have the following:
• Proven ability to manage complex day-to-day operations
• Experience in propagating and growing horticultural plants along with pest and disease management, application of chemical control agents and maintenance of facility records
• Knowledge of quarantine and plant importation systems (desirable)
• Experience of working with tissue culture plants and with biological indexing assays
• Proven ability to be able to continually improve processes and systems
• Proven experience in developing positive relationships with internal and external customer and stakeholders across a large, complex business environment.
• Proven ability to use initiative and perform in an often ambiguous environment.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills with a proven ability to adapt quickly to meet audience needs.
• Enjoy motivating and supervising staff
• Ability to participate in strategic planning.
• An interest in furthering their professional development
To view the position description and/or apply for the role (submitting a cover letter and current curriculum vitae), please check out https://careers.mpi.govt.nz/jobs/MPI17-1282687
For tracking and reporting purposes, all applications must be submitted through the online careers portal.
If you have any questions about the role, please contact Carly Birse, Senior Recruitment Adviser for a confidential discussion at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for this role will not be accepted after 5 pm on 21 July 2017