College/Management Unit: University College Dublin (UCD) College of Health and Agricultural Sciences
School/Unit: UCD School of Agriculture & Food Science
Post Title: Lecturer/Assistant Professor in Horticulture
Post Duration: Temporary 3 years or a Permanent post (depending on skills
Grade Lecturer/Assistant Professor
Reports to: Head of School or nominee
Competition Ref. Nº 012739
HR Administrator: Alicja Straczek
Applications are invited for the post of Assistant Professor in Horticulture within the Environment & Sustainable Resource Management Section and the Horticulture group in the UCD School of Agriculture & Food Science. The Horticulture Group focuses their expertise in the areas of Food Production and Amenity Horticulture with an emphasis on both Healthy People and a Sustainable Planet.
The ideal appointee will have expertise in sports turf construction/management, the production, marketing and retail of nursery stock, and in plant biotechnology.
The successful applicant will have the capacity to transfer their particular interests into education programmes for students of horticulture, agriculture and the agri-environmental sciences. The appointment will support teaching and research in horticulture, and basic and applied plant science within the School. This teaching and research specifically requires a focus on the application of modern advanced technologies to these area(s) of expertise and will contribute to the UCD's Strategic Themes of Creating a Sustainable Global Society; Transforming through Digital Technology; Building a Healthy World; and Empowering Humanity. The appointee will be expected to establish a close working relationship with industry and research agencies and to take an active part and leadership role in the development and delivery of existing undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in horticulture and in the development of new educational and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programmes within the School.
We are looking for highly motivated candidates who have demonstrated aptitude, commitment and passion for teaching, with research expertise in a relevant area. Candidates must have a horticulture or plant science background or equivalent industry expertise, a relevant PhD, a demonstrated capacity to carry out research, excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills, and teaching experience. The appointee will complement and engage actively with current academic staff in the Section, School and wider UCD community, and make a significant contribution to teaching, research and university life.
The successful candidate will be offered a 3-year temporary contract or permanent position based on experience and trajectory as determined by the Interview Board.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
UCD is committed to creating an inclusive environment where diversity is celebrated, and everyone is afforded equality of opportunity. To that end the university adheres to a range of equality, diversity and inclusion policies. We encourage applicants to consult those policies here https://www.ucd.ie/equality/. We welcome applications from everyone, including those who identify with any of the protected characteristics that are set out in our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy.
95 Lecturer/Asst Professor Above The Bar Salary: €54,848 - €86,235 per annum
Appointment will be made on scale and in accordance with the Department of Finance guidelines
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Duties shall be as laid down by the Head of School or his/her nominee and shall include lecturing, tutoring, research supervision, administration and research leading to scholarly publication, public policy debate and impact on the horticulture sector. Some cooperative research may be carried out on non-university properties.
As it is School policy to continuously update and improve its educational and research programmes, and to develop and implement new technologies in line with the needs of the University, it is essential that the appointee will be flexible in attitude and ability.
The main duties/responsibilities shall include:
• Delivering high quality undergraduate and postgraduate education
• Contribution to the School's existing education programmes, including Horticulture, Crop Science, Agri-Environmental Sciences and other programmes, at both undergraduate and post-graduate levels.
• Contribution to the development of new and improved education programmes.
• Teaching basic and applied aspects of horticultural science as indicated in the Summary above, including embracing the current state of knowledge and the results of ongoing research findings.
• Developing and sustaining an internationally recognised research programme that leads to publications, innovation and impact. This research programme will be in line with the strategic research objectives of the School and the University
• Promotion of inter- and multi-disciplinary initiatives within the School and University.
• Supervising and mentoring undergraduate and postgraduate students, and early stage researchers
• Actively competing for national and international research grants
• Developing close collaborations with the national and international horticulture industry and other stakeholders
• Disseminating the results of research through appropriate academic and social media channels
• Contribution to the academic and administrative duties of the Section, School, College and University.
• Representation of UCD Horticulture both nationally and internationally in the specific areas of the appointee's expertise.
• Contribution to national policy relating to the improvement and enhancement of amenity or sports turf management and plant production practice, as deemed appropriate.
• Engaging in appropriate training and professional career development activities
Selection criteria outline the qualifications, skills, knowledge and/or experience that the successful candidate would need to demonstrate for successful discharge of the responsibilities of the post. Applications will be assessed on the basis of how well candidates satisfy these criteria.
• Applicants must have an Honours-level University degree and a PhD in Horticulture or a relevant area.
• Expertise in the areas of sports turf, nursery stock and micropropagation.
• Knowledge of the practical skills and methods used in horticulture, applied plant science, sports turf construction & management, and amenity plant husbandry and agronomy.
• A track record and vision that demonstrates an ability to initiate, lead and sustain a successful research programme in sports turf, applied plant science, or amenity plant husbandry and agronomy.
• A track record of published research in peer review journals.
• Experience of applying for competitive research funding.
• Experience of teaching in 3rd/4th level education, and enthusiasm and interest in teaching development.
• Excellent communication and organisational skills.
• Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
• Candidates must demonstrate how they can positively contribute to fostering an inclusive environment and a level of awareness of equality, diversity and inclusion.
• Postgraduate qualification in Teaching and Learning.
• Experience in the development and delivery of technology-enhanced and on-line teaching.
• Post doctoral research experience in a relevant area.
• Demonstrated proficiency in relevant methods of quantitative data collection and analysis.
• Experience in the design, construction, implementation and management of sports turf facilities with significant experience working in an internationally accredited sports turf organization.
• A record of contribution to the wider national and international discipline/community, such as conference presentations, report writing, consultations, popular press, membership of relevant organisations, groups/committees, invited speaker.
More information and enquiries:
Name: Dr Caroline Elliot-Kingston
Title: Head of Horticulture Email
How to apply for the role(s):
Click the link https://www.ucd.ie/workatucd/jobs/
Click External Applicants
Select Academic in the first drop down menu bar
Select School of Agriculture & Food Science in the second drop down menu bar
Click Apply Now on the relevant job role