The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit our website: worldveg.org
WorldVeg, with its treasure of the world's largest vegetable germplasm collection in the public domain and with breeding and plant protection research programs in different parts of the world, is well-placed to develop improved cultivars with traits for tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses, enhanced shelf life, and improved nutrient content and health promoting qualities.
WorldVeg is in the midst of modernizing its research infrastructure and evolving into an 'Open Science Center' that will enable strengthened collaboration with advanced research institutions, universities and private sector. As part of this development, the Center has an ambitious plan to research, develop and introduce sustainable disease management approaches for ecological intensification of smallholder vegetable production systems.
WorldVeg seeks a Plant Pathologist to join its on-going research for developing and implementing disease management strategies, that are economical, environmentally safe and sustainable. The position will be based at WorldVeg headquarters in Shanhua, Tainan, Taiwan and within the Safe and Sustainable Value Chains Program.
Key job responsibilities:
● Provide scientific leadership and build partnerships in Vegetable Pathology, with an emphasis on integrated disease management programs in tropical Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
● Lead, collaborate and conduct laboratory, greenhouse and field experiments on screening of germplasm and breeding populations for resistance/tolerance in vegetables and legumes to virus diseases.
● Carry out research and development activities in biological control, induced resistance and molecular approaches in the management of virus diseases in vegetables and legumes.
● Develop seed health testing methods and conduct Pest Risk Assessments.
● Supervise a team of dedicated staff, students and co-workers at WorldVeg regional centers and at headquarters.
● Enhance the capacity of partners in developing and promoting integrated disease management approaches.
● Actively interact and collaborate with other research programs (internally and externally) to develop, implement and lead innovative Vegetable Pathology R&D activities.
● Contribute to project management, reporting and resource mobilization.
● Perform any other duties as required by the needs of the Center.
Qualifications and experience:
● PhD degree in plant pathology, or plant protection with specialization in virology and with 5 – 10 years of demonstrated relevant experience in working with vegetable and/or legume diseases as well as seed pathogens, especially viruses.
● Experience in molecular diagnostics and characterization of virus and viroid pathogens.
● Familiarity with phytosanitary requirements and pest risk assessment will be an advantage.
● Experience in initiating experiments, experimental design, execution of experimental plans and analyzing results.
● Strong track record of proposal writing, project management and publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
● Fluency in spoken and written English, with good and effective communication skills.
● Team player, able to work in a multicultural environment and able to interact effectively with partners.
The Reward: This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The appointment is for three years. The position will be available after July 2021.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with a curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including telephone/fax/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability to email@example.com before 15 January, 2021. Please mention the position title in the subject line.