Université Laval - Laval University, Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences, Department of Plant Science (Département de phytologie)
Offer number: 22122
Job posting period: October 1, 2023 - January 10, 2024
Université Laval is a privileged working environment in the heart of Quebec City, Canada. It is a large and diversified university recognized for its culture of excellence in teaching and research. The Department of Plant Science comprises 22 professors studying various fields related to crop production and plant science. They contribute to the training of more than 400 undergraduate agronomy students and supervise about 75 graduate students enrolled in the Plant Biology graduate program.
The Department of Plant Science (https://www.fsaa.ulaval.ca/en/faculty/departments-school/plant-science-department) invites applications for the position in the above-mentioned area.
In collaboration with professors of the Department of Plant Science, the selected candidate will teach courses in French* to undergraduate students in agronomy and in the Certificate in horticulture and green space management, as well as graduate students in plant biology and will supervise M. Sc. and Ph. D. students in the area of field horticulture (vegetables and fruits). The candidate will develop high quality teaching and research programs and will assume a fair share of the collective responsibilities of the department.
1. Hold a Ph. D. in a field related to horticulture;
2. Possess the necessary skills and experience to develop and offer teaching in French* to undergraduate and graduate students in field horticulture in the context of agronomic training (Certificate in horticulture and green space management, B. Sc. Agronomy; M. Sc. and Ph. D. Plant Biology); this notably includes courses such as Horticulture and a graduate course in their field of expertise;
3. Demonstrate an ability to design and implement an innovative scientific research program in the area of field horticulture;
4. Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills and a genuine interest in teaching. Experience in teaching at the university level would be an asset;
5. Have an excellent knowledge of the issues (i.e., main problems) of current field horticulture systems in Québec and the main challenges to be met;
6. Membership to the Ordre des agronomes du Québec is encouraged.
Hiring and Treatment: As per the current collective agreement. This is a tenure track position.
Application: Application deadline: January 10, 2024; Expected starting date: May 1, 2024
Interested individuals are invited to send a cover letter describing their interest for the position and competence in the field of expertise, a curriculum vitae and two reference letters, before January 10, 2024, to the following email address (PDF documents): firstname.lastname@example.org , or to the following postal address:
Dr. Richard Bélanger, Department Head Département de phytologie - FSAA Université Laval
Pavillon Paul-Comtois, local 3236-A 2425, rue de l'agriculture
Québec, Canada. G1V 0A6
Phone: (1)418-656-2131, ext. 402758
*In order to facilitate the integration of new non-French-speaking professors, the VRRHF offers French classes to new professors and their spouse. In general, the Department will give new professors a period of at least 12 months to acquire French fluency before the start of teaching duties.
Valuing diversity, Université Laval applies an equity program for professors (PAEPP) and encourages all qualified individuals to apply – particularly women, visible and ethnic minorities, Indigenous peoples, and persons with disabilities – but priority will be given to Canadians and Canadian permanent residents.