The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Chinese Taipei and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit our website: www.worldveg.org. WorldVeg seeks a Regional Director to manage its research and development work in East and Southeast Asia. The position is based at WorldVeg's Regional Office in Bangkok, Thailand. The Regional Director reports to the Director General.
The Job: Key responsibilities for the Regional Director are:
- Spearhead the Center's resource mobilization efforts for the region aiming for substantial growth in regional operations.
- Build strong partnerships with Kasetsart University – the Center's host institution in Thailand and the Royal Thai Government.
- Build relationships with new and existing donors, regional networks, other research and development organizations and the private sector for project development and scaling of the Center's innovations.
- Represent WorldVeg in the region on behalf of the Director General, supporting the Center's vision and mission and contributing to greater visibility in the region.
- In-line with the Center's strategic plan, and in close collaboration with the Deputy Director General-Research and Flagship Program Leaders, assist to develop the R&D strategy for the region.
- Lead the Center's annual planning of operations and budget for the region.
- Encourage staff in the region to contribute to high quality research and development proposals to secure funding and realize the Center's mission.
- Ensure that projects are implemented efficiently and effectively, and in compliance with donor requirements, and deliver quality outputs on time.
- Provide general oversight to all R&D and training activities of the Center in the region – including activities conducted in the region by HQ staff.
- Supervise the administration of the regional office and that of other project offices in the region. Ensure optimal working conditions for staff and manage recruitment of national staff in line with the Center's recruitment policy.
- Assume responsibility for risk management and business continuity related to the Center operations and work with Deputy Director General-Administration and Services to maintain and update a risk register on a regular basis.
- Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of the Center and as reviewed from time to time by the Director General.
The Person: Applicants must have at least an MSc degree in an agricultural science, development or an equivalent qualification and at least 15 years of experience in coordinating research and resource management, with demonstrated capacity for leadership in an international, multidisciplinary environment. A good track record of fundraising and experience in interacting with agricultural research institutions, regional and national organizations/governments will be an advantage. Proficiency in written and spoken English is essential. Experience in the region will be an advantage.
The Reward: This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The initial appointment is for three years and may be extended depending on performance of the incumbent and availability of resources.
How to Apply: Submit a letter of application with curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including telephone/fax/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability. Please send applications stating the job title by e-mail to email@example.com, before 15 March 2018.
World Vegetable Center, East and Southeast Asia/ Oceania
2nd Floor, Research & Development Building, Kasetsart University
Bangkhen, Bangkok 10900, Thailand
Phone +66-2-9428686 or +66-2-9428687; Fax +66-2-9428688