Senior Research Scientist
• Are you a horticultural research scientist with the capacity to interact at industry level?
• Take your research experience in horticultural crops to the next level in this exciting role!
• Join Australia's largest research organisation - CSIRO
As a Senior Research Scientist on our team, you will initiate and drive strategic plant research in horticultural crops and apply novel science to solve practical problems in horticulture. Based on the Waite Campus at the University of Adelaide, you will be part of a team that carries out strategic research in support of a range of horticultural crops, with a strong focus on grapevines. This role will expand the capability of CSIRO Agriculture and Food and grow our horticulture research portfolio. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record in research in plant science, preferably involving horticultural crops, as well as a proven record of attracting external funding and delivering impact.
Your duties will include:
- Actively engaging with the horticulture industry to identify needs and research opportunities aimed at improving the production efficiency, sustainability, product quality and value of horticultural crops.
- Incorporating novel approaches to scientific investigations by integrating, adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Working as an integral member or leader of a multi-disciplinary, often regionally dispersed research team, to undertake independent scientific investigations and carry out/delegate associated tasks that are aligned with Business Unit goals and CSIRO's strategy.
- Driving research projects and assisting with elements of larger projects including the negotiation of resource requirements.
- Guiding, coaching and supervising staff to ensure experiments are established in accordance with research design, within agreed timelines and budget.
Location: Adelaide (Waite Campus), South Australia
Salary: AU$109K to AU$137K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Job reference: 56207
To be successful, you will need:
- A doctorate or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as horticulture.
- A strong track record of initiating and carrying out high impact strategic research in plant science, preferably involving, or applicable to, horticultural crops.
- Knowledge and experience relevant to improving crop performance and/or industry profitability.
- Experience in active engagement of stakeholders to identify industry needs and research opportunities in the horticulture or other plant industries.
- The ability to initiate, develop and actively manage new research areas and attract both internal and external funding support.
- The ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team and carry out research independently, to achieve organisational goals.
- The ability to travel interstate and a valid driver's licence.
Before you apply, please view the full position details and selection criteria here: http://www.csiro.au/~/media/Positions/2018/Agriculture/56207_Senior_Research_Scientist_PD.doc
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more! https://www.csiro.au/en/Careers/A-great-place-to-work/Work-life-balance
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
How to apply: Please upload one document containing both your CV/Resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should provide enough information relevant to the selection criteria, to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability.
Applications close: 11:59pm AEST, Thursday 14th June 2018
Dr Ian Dry, Group Leader, CSIRO Agriculture & Food (https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/AF)
CSIRO Agriculture & Food, Wine Innovation West Building, Waite Campus, Hartley Grove, Urrbrae SA 5064, Australia
E email@example.com T +61 8 83038632 M +61 (0) 419230635 P CSIRO Agriculture & Food, Wine Innovation West Building, Locked Bag 2, Glen Osmond SA 5064, Australia.