The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit our website: worldveg.org
WorldVeg with its treasure of world's largest vegetable germplasm collection, with breeding programs in different parts of the world and strong connections with the seed sector, is well-placed to develop improved cultivars with traits for tolerance to biotic and abiotic stresses, enhanced shelf life, improved nutrient content and quality. The Center is in the midst of modernizing its research infrastructure and evolving into an 'Open Science Center', collaborating with advanced research institutions and universities.
As part of this development, WorldVeg seeks a Vegetable Breeder to conduct high quality and outcome-based research to help develop and deliver a pipeline of improved tropically-adapted products of vegetable crops.
The incumbent will be based at Center's headquarters in Shanhua, Tainan, Taiwan and will report to the Flagship Leader – Vegetable Diversity and Improvement.
Key job responsibilities:
• Contribute to develop breeding populations and perform pre-breeding and trait capture activities including wide crosses;
• Conduct field and greenhouse evaluation of tomato lines and segregating populations;
• Identify heat tolerance, insect resistance, bacterial wilt resistance and other traits in vegetable crops and move these traits into elite breeding lines;
• Bring and apply new skills to vegetable breeding such as predictive analytics;
• Work with bioinformatics scientist to enable genome selection;
• Contribute to project proposal development and project management including preparation of reports;
• Build the capacity of seed company and NARS partners through occasional training courses and on-site visits;
• Strengthen WorldVeg consortia with seed companies and actively participate in workshops, field days and other events;
• Publish research in peer-reviewed journals;
• Perform any other duties as required by the needs of the Center and as directed by the supervisor.
The Person: Candidates must have a PhD degree in plant breeding or a related field, with about 4 to 6 years of postdoctoral experience in breeding, preferably in vegetable crops, and have strong skills in scientific writing, genetics, statistics and experimental design. She/he must have strong communication skills in spoken and written English. The candidate must be able to work with multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural and multinational environment.
The Reward: This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The initial appointment is for three years and may be extended depending on performance of the incumbent and availability of resources. The position is available with immediate effect.
How to Apply: Applicants should submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with a curriculum vitae, names and addresses (including telephone/fax/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until it is filled. Please mention the position title in the subject line