Vegetable Systems Scientist and Country Manager - Mali
The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. WorldVeg conducts research and development programs that contribute to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information please visit worldveg.org.
WorldVeg is seeking to recruit a scientist in the field of seed systems, agronomy, or socio-economic sciences who will also act as the Center's country manager for Mali, to be based in Bamako. The successful candidate will report to one of WorldVeg's Flagship program leaders in Taiwan / Thailand and to the Regional Director for West and Central Africa (WCA) in Benin for country manager duties.
Responsibilities as Vegetable Systems Scientist (approximately 60% of time):
1. Conduct research and strengthen the capacity of partners in one or several of the following focus areas for WorldVeg in Mali: vegetable seed systems, vegetable production systems, vegetable business networks, monitoring, learning and impact assessment.
2. Contribute to the implementation of projects ongoing in Mali - such as the project "Local Production of Safe Vegetables for West African Consumers (SAFEVEG)" funded by the European Commission and the Netherlands.
3. Contribute to partnership building and resource mobilization efforts to advance vegetable science and create lasting positive impact.
4. Contribute to cross-regional learning and knowledge sharing within WorldVeg.
Responsibilities as Country Manager (approximately 40% of time):
5. Represent the Center, supporting the Center's vision and mission and contributing to greater visibility and engagement in Mali - and other countries in WCA in consultation with the WorldVeg Regional Director for WCA.
6. Manage the local WorldVeg office and operations in Mali and create a pleasant, inclusive and productive work environment for the WorldVeg team and partners.
7. Maintain effective linkages with the host institution, partners and government of Mali to facilitate the Center's operations.
8. Coordinate risk management and business continuity activities related to operations in Mali - and in other countries in WCA.
9. Undertake any other duties as required by the needs of the Center and as reviewed from time to time by the Regional Director for WCA and the Chair of the Research Management Team.
Enthusiastic team builder able to create a dynamic environment for innovation and scaling. Excellent communicator with a proactive attitude towards engaging with policy and decision-makers and public and private sector partners to realize the potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. Applicants must have: (i) a PhD degree in a relevant field related to agriculture / horticulture; (ii) strong research skills as proven by a list of publications in international journals; (iii) a minimum of 5 years of experience in coordinating R&D efforts, with demonstrated leadership capability in an international, multidisciplinary and multicultural environment and (iv) experience in fundraising and advocacy. The position will require occasional travel to countries in the region. Proficiency in written and spoken French and English is essential. Experience with the vegetable sector will be an advantage.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position with competitive pay and benefits. The initial appointment is for three years and may be extended depending on performance of the incumbent and availability of resources.
How to Apply:
Submit a cover letter with curriculum vitae, names and addresses (including telephone/e-mail) of three referees, and date of availability. Please send applications stating the job title by e-mail to email@example.com, before 30 June 2022.