EFECTO DEL PERMANGANATO DE POTASIO SOBRE ALGUNAS CARACTERÍSTICAS POSCOSECHA DE FRUTOS DE TOMATE 'CHONTO' (SOLANUM LYCOPERSICUM L.) -
EFFECT OF POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE ON SOME POSTHARVEST CHARACTERISTICS OF TOMATO 'CHONTO' FRUITS (SOLANUM LYCOPERSICUM L.)

F.A. Salamanca, H.E. Balaguera-López, A.O. Herrera
The tomato is a highly perishable climacteric fruit whose ripening processes are fast. Ethylene absorbers composed of a mixture of clay and potassium permanganate (KMnO4) are a good alternative to eliminate ambient ethylene during the storage of fruits and vegetables. For KMnO4 to be effective, it must be adsorbed to a vehicle (or carrier) that forms a solid absorber, easily manageable and which increase the effective contact area. The objective was to evaluate the effect of KMnO4 on the behavior of some postharvest physical characteristics of the ‘Chonto’ tomato. We used a completely randomized design to evaluate three doses of zeolite (0.5, 1.0 and 1.5% based on fresh weight) and three concentrations of KMnO4 (0.5, 1 and 1.5% based on fresh weight), plus one control treatment. The fruits were selected in the field and harvested at maturity 1 (100% green) with an average firmness of 50.93 Newton (N), 4.47 of °Brix, and total titratable acidity (TTA) of 1.11%; and therefore a maturity index of 4.01. Then, the fruits were stored in the postharvest laboratory at the National University of Colombia at room temperature (18ºC and 85% relative humidity) for 28 days in commercial TPT packaging (Thermoformed polyethylene terephthalate); physicochemical variables were evaluated. The treatment with zeolite clay 1% + KMnO4 1% showed the lowest fresh weight loss, meanwhile in the zeolite 1.5% + KMnO4 0.5% treatment, the fruits exhibited greater firmness values. The lowest value of total soluble solids was presented with zeolite 1% + KMnO4 1.5%, while the highest acidity was seen in the zeolite 1% + KMnO4 0.5% treatment. Ethylene absorbers composed of zeolite and KMnO4 retard the ripening of ‘Chonto’ tomato fruits.

Resumen:
El tomate es un fruto climatérico altamente perecedero, cuyos procesos de maduración son rápidos. Los absorbedores de etileno compuestos por una mezcla de arcillas y permanganato de potasio (KMnO4) pueden ser una alternativa para eliminar el etileno del ambiente durante la conservación de frutas y hortalizas. El objetivo fue evaluar el efecto del KMnO4 sobre el comportamiento de algunas características fisicoquímicas durante la poscosecha de tomate ‘Chonto’. Se evaluaron absorbedores de etileno compuestos de la mezcla de tres dosis de zeolita (0,5; 1 y 1,5% con base en el peso fresco del fruto), y tres concentraciones de KMnO4 (0,5; 1 y 1,5% con base en el peso fresco del fruto) más un testigo absoluto. Los frutos se almacenaron por 28 días a temperatura ambiente (18°C y 75% de humedad relativa) en empaques comerciales tipo PET (Termoformados de polietileno de tereftalato), dentro de los cuales se ubicaron los absorbedores de etileno preparados. Frutos con zeolita al 1% + KMnO4 al 1% presentaron la menor pérdida de peso fresco, la mezcla de zeolita al 1,5% + KMnO4 al 0,5% mantuvo mayores valores de firmeza en los frutos. El menor contenido de sólidos solubles totales (SST) y de acidez total titulable (ATT) se presentaron con zeolita al 1% + KMnO4 al 1,5%. Los absorbedores de etileno compuestos por zeolita y KMnO4 retrasan el proceso de maduración de frutos de tomate ‘Chonto’.
Salamanca, F.A., Balaguera-López, H.E. and Herrera, A.O. (2014). EFECTO DEL PERMANGANATO DE POTASIO SOBRE ALGUNAS CARACTERÍSTICAS POSCOSECHA DE FRUTOS DE TOMATE 'CHONTO' (SOLANUM LYCOPERSICUM L.) -
EFFECT OF POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE ON SOME POSTHARVEST CHARACTERISTICS OF TOMATO 'CHONTO' FRUITS (SOLANUM LYCOPERSICUM L.). Acta Hortic. 1016, 171-176
DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2014.1016.24
https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2014.1016.24
maturation, ethylene, ethylene absorber, zeolite
Palabras clave: maduración, etileno, absorbedor de etileno, zeolita
Spanish

Acta Horticulturae