The design of the surroundings of Rizarios Ecclesiastical School and a proposal for its regeneration
Rizarios Ecclesiastical School (RES) established in 1844 and founded by the brothers Manthos and George Rizaris, constituted one of the finest educational institutions of Greece. The RES premises within the Municipality of Halandri, located in Athens, Greece, is dated to 1960. The landscape design of RES was influenced by the design of the National Garden, Athens, Greece. The teaching of "Agronomy" to pupils of the school played a pivotal role in their education as they practiced agriculture on-site. Over the years, the function of RES has gradually changed and has affected the surrounding landscape. Furthermore, the site users have become more diverse. In this study, a landscape design proposal to regenerate the surrounding of the RES is presented based on a site analysis, the will of the Rizaris' brothers and an extensive historical literature review. The history, planting, particular needs, problems and opportunities of the site were studied in detail. The location of the main features of the site were determined such as the olive groves and originally planted hedges. During the study a connection between plants and the Hellenic religion, culture and culinary was identified that was used in the design proposal for the Rizarios Ecclesiastical School site.
Marougka, E. and Paraskevopoulou, A.T. (2017). The design of the surroundings of Rizarios Ecclesiastical School and a proposal for its regeneration. Acta Hortic. 1189, 77-80
landscape conservation, history, planting, agronomy, tradition