Quality evaluation of 'Hayward' kiwifruit snacks

A.I. Vieira, A.C. Guerreiro, C.L. Gago, M.L. Faleiro, M.G. Miguel, M.D. Antunes
The consumption of healthier and convenient foods has increased in recent years. Fruit snacks are becoming very popular, since the fresh fruit nutrients are concentrated, while maintaining their benefits. The aim of this work was to develop a snack with high fruit content based on kiwifruit and to evaluate its nutritional parameters and sensory quality. Snack formulations were as follows: fruit mixed with pectin solution (4%) + ascorbic acid (1%) in equal proportions (Fruit); to part of this mixture natural yogurt was added at a proportion of 3:1 (Fruit-yog); and to this last combination 5% w/v stevia powder (Fruit-yog-stevia), or 5% w/v multifloral honey (Fruit-yog-honey), was added. The final mixtures were poured into baking foil, in 2-mL portions, and dried at 40°C for 48 h, then stored at room temperature (~23°C). Measurements of microbial content, color, hardness, water activity, sugars, flavonoids, total phenolics, antioxidant activity and taste panels were taken over 7 months' storage. Fat content and mineral composition were also determined. Results showed good sensory and nutritional quality for the snacks. Lightness and chroma were higher in snacks with yogurt than in just fruit snacks, while hue did not significantly differ. Water activity was below 0.6 for all snacks. Hardness was higher in Fruit snacks and lower in Fruit-yog-stevia. Fruit and Fruit-yog-honey snacks were richer in fructose and glucose. Fruit snacks showed higher phenolic content and 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), while Fruit-yog had higher flavonoid content. Although microbial counts were higher in Fruit snacks up to 1 month, all snack types were safe for consumption, the microbial counts always being within acceptable limits. Generally, quality parameters did not significantly change through the 7 months of storage. Panelists preferred Fruit-yog-stevia; Fruit-yog-honey was the least favorite.
Vieira, A.I., Guerreiro, A.C., Gago, C.L., Faleiro, M.L., Miguel, M.G. and Antunes, M.D. (2018). Quality evaluation of 'Hayward' kiwifruit snacks. Acta Hortic. 1218, 549-558
DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2018.1218.75
Actinidia deliciosa, fruit, healthy foods, quality, snacks

Acta Horticulturae