A COMPARISON BETWEEN MECHANICAL AND HAND PRUNING OF FRUITTREES
For about 5 years, in countries where labour has become expensive, mechanical pruning methods have been introduced. The reason for this would be that mechanical pruning would go quicker, better and cheaper than the traditional hand method. Also in the Netherlands this pruning equipment is used in practice.
During 4 years an analysis is going on in our country into the usefulness of these shears in comparison with other pruning methods.
The purpose of this analysis is to determine
- which type of shears cuts quicker;
- which pruning method is better as to production and quality.
- which influence the type of equipment has on the work method and pruning method;
- which method is least tiring;
- which method works cheapest taking into account all factors, except the probable ease during the work.
van Lookeren Campagne, P. (1970). A COMPARISON BETWEEN MECHANICAL AND HAND PRUNING OF FRUITTREES. Acta Hortic. 19, 191-204