THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE IRISH TOMATO INDUSTRY
In 1956 the area of glass consisted almost entirely of cold houses mostly sized a quarter of an acre or less. To encourage home production, the duty on all foreign (except UK) supplies was trebled. Periods of import restriction were extended.
Ten years ago the Kinsealy (County Dublin) Research Station was established. Work has been conducted on problems including heating, irrigation, varieties, peat, diseases and CO2. Postgraduate, graduate and technician courses have been extended in order to improve the standards of advice and production efficiency. Since 1967 substantial capital grants have been available to glasshouse growers.
The above efforts to develop the size and production efficiency of the industry have not been matched by similar efforts in marketing.