INFLUENCE OF LACTOSE AND GLYCEROL ON GROWTH AND SOMATIC EMBRYOGENESIS OF CITRUS CALLUS

A. Singh, N. Nito, M. Iwamasa
Stimulatory effect of lactose and glycerol on growth and somatic embryogenesis of nucellar derived callus of Meyer lemon (Citrus meyeri Y. Tan.) was studied. Lactose 5% and glycerol 2% separately induced growth. Glycerol 1.0% to 4% induced embryogenesis either poorly or no embryo at all. Lactose 4 to 5% induced embryo formation in all the experiments. Growth rate of callus in MT medium containing 1.0 to 4% glycerol was slow as compared to those cultured in the same medium except glycerol was substituted by lactose or sucrose. Capability of lactose utilization by Meyer lemon was evident by callus growth and somatic embryogenesis.
Singh, A., Nito, N. and Iwamasa, M. (1992). INFLUENCE OF LACTOSE AND GLYCEROL ON GROWTH AND SOMATIC EMBRYOGENESIS OF CITRUS CALLUS. Acta Hortic. 321, 606-609
DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.1992.321.71
https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.1992.321.71

Acta Horticulturae