RESTORATION OF THE ROYAL GLASSHOUSES AND THEIR PLANT COLLECTION IN THE HISTORICAL GARDEN OF RACCONIGI IN PIEDMONT (ITALY)
The neogothic Royal Glasshouses in Racconigi, designed by the architect Carlo Sada, are one of the most important examples of greenhouse and conservatory architecture of the XIXth century in Europe. They were built between 1843 and 1850, under the supervision of the royal head gardeners, Marcellino and Giuseppe Roda, who were well aware of the new technologies and knowledge about gardens in Europe. Until the beginning of the XXth century, these glasshouses hosted a great botanical collection of over 2000 exotic and rare species coming from every country around the world. Alas, around the 1920s the decline of the entire park started, and the collection was lost. In order to safeguard and evaluate this heritage, the restoration of both the Castle and the Park is in progress. In particular, this study is focused on the restoration of the Royal Glasshouses and their botanical collection: the project is to put back the plants inside the glasshouse, bringing back the passion for scientific experimenting that was typical of XIXth century Europe, and that was the main feature of the Royal Gardens of Racconigi, the Kings favourite mansion.
Fornaris, A. and Larcher, F. (2010). RESTORATION OF THE ROYAL GLASSHOUSES AND THEIR PLANT COLLECTION IN THE HISTORICAL GARDEN OF RACCONIGI IN PIEDMONT (ITALY). Acta Hortic. 881, 993-996
botany, architecture, technology, Roda, exotic plants