EFFECT OF TIME AND TEMPERATURE ON QUALITY AND STABILITY OF ASCORBIC ACID IN PROCESSED KINNOW MANDARIN JUICE
The present study evaluated the stability of ascorbic acid in Kinnow mandarins during processing under different of time and temperature regimes. Juice was extracted using a citrus juice extractor, filtered through a clean muslin cloth and divided into 10 equal samples. The following treatments were applied to juice: T0-control (ambient temperature); 80°C for 10, 15 or 20 min; T 90°C for 1, 5 or 10 min; and 100°C for 1, 3 or 5 min. After heat processing samples were air-cooled after being plugged tightly with plugs. All air cooled juice samples were stored in the refrigerator and the following day juices were subjected to physico-chemical analyses including TSS (°Brix), density (g/ml), cloud (%), reducing sugar (%), sucrose (%), total sugar (%), pH, acidity (%), and ascorbic acid (g/100 ml). Juice treated at 90°C for 10 min retained approximately 90% of ascorbic acid in the Kinnow mandarin juice. This treatment affected all physico-chemical characteristics of the juice, maximum reducing sugar (4.8%), sucrose (3.2%), total sugar (8.0%), and minimum cloudiness (18%) was also observed with juice treated with 90°C temperature for 10 min.
Pebam, N., Prasad, V.M., Roshan, R.K. and Singh, D.B. (2013). EFFECT OF TIME AND TEMPERATURE ON QUALITY AND STABILITY OF ASCORBIC ACID IN PROCESSED KINNOW MANDARIN JUICE. Acta Hortic. 975, 501-504
ascorbic acid, Kinnow, mandarin juice